LinkShare rotating banner

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Compiling GTK+ Theme Engines

The GTK+ widget library supports diverse customization of look and feel for GTK+ applications. This is achieved by installing a shared library (*.so or *.dll) that provides a particular GTK+ theme style. The default GTK+ theme engine (Raleigh) is too generic and old-fashioned to suit my style. The pixmap engine is too much of a resource hog, and the Wimp engine doesn't seem to work for GTK+ 2.18 and later releases.


My favorite GTK+ theme engines are thus:



  • Aurora engine
  • Candido engine
  • CleanIce engine
  • Clearlooks engine
  • Lighthouseblue engine
  • MagicChicken engine
  • Murrine engine
  • Nodoka engine
  • Rezlooks engine
  • Smooth engine
  • Wonderland engine


Compiling GTK+ Theme Engines 2.20.1


After building GTK+ 2 library, I can compile GTK+ theme engines, including Clearlooks and Lighthouseblue. I couldn't find the upstream release of gtk2-engines, so I downloaded the source from Debian Sid's page.


gtk2-engines requires intltool, so I compiled intltool first.


tar xzvf intltool-0.41.1.tar.gz
cd intltool-0.41.1
./configure --prefix=/mingw
make
make install

configure script will complain if xgettext, msgmerge and msgfmt are not found. I got these programs from my static gettext package I compiled previously.



Then, I compiled gtk-engines as follows:


tar xzvf gtk2-engines_2.20.1.orig.tar.gz
cd gtk-engines-2.20.1/
./configure --prefix=/mingw --disable-deprecated --enable-animation
make

I only wanted clearlooks, so I copied libclearlooks.dll.


find -iname \*dll
cp ./engines/clearlooks/.libs/libclearlooks.dll /mingw/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines


Compiling Aurora Theme Engine


I downloaded the Aurora source from here and unpack it. I compiled Aurora like this:


./configure --prefix=/mingw --enable-animation
make
make install


Cygwin: Compiling Smooth Theme Engine


The source code of smooth theme engine can be downloaded from here. Compiling is easy:


./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

2 comments:

  1. Hey, i can't understand how you compiled that stuff... the commands are typed in Windows our Linux... it seems linux... but where install msgfmt.exe and others? do i need mingw? In Ubuntu, there is mingw package, ready to install in synaptic...

    I want, compile Equinox engine to GTK Windows, can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much!! I could compile it! If you want test and use it, get here:
    http://www.2shared.com/file/6MGDNaLj/libequinox.html

    Equinox is the most wonderful gtk engine ever! Now I can put this engine in my windows apps!!!

    ReplyDelete

About This Blog

KBlog logo This blog seeks to share useful information on freely available fonts on the Internet. Thanks for visiting the blog and posting your comments.

© Contents by KBlog

© Blogger template by Emporium Digital 2008

Followers

Total Pageviews

CyberChimps Professional WordPress Themes
Powered By Blogger